|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Collection||Power Supply Collection|
|Title||[Power Supply Album 6: Sub Station #6 West 132nd Street]|
Construction of Interborough Rapid Transit Company Substation #16. Photo shows a row of rotary converters on the left, and transformers on the right.
This photograph is stored in Power Supply Album 6 of 12 that documents Interborough Rapid Transit Company's system of electrical power for New York's first subway system.
IRT began building substations in 1904, numbering them sequentially as they were built and starting at 1. When the IRT acquired the MRy and its 8 substations, the IRT re-numbered their existing substations to accommodate the new acquisition. The former MRy substations were numbered 1-8, and the IRT substations were renumbered, beginning at 11. The original IRT numbering is reflected in the title field.
Interborough Rapid Transit Company
Manhattan (New York, N.Y.)
132ND Street (Manhattan, NY)
Interborough Rapid Transit Company.
|Substation/ Powerhouse||Substation #16 (IRT)|